Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
April 27, 2017
Member Login
Username:

Password:


Not registered yet?
Click Here to sign-up

Forgot Your Login?
Fire Fighters Assistance Program
Confidential FFAP Hotline:  1.888.731.FIRE  Available 24/7 

Free CONFIDENTIAL telephone assistance for MPFFU members, retirees, and their families

Get answers to your questions and concerns.

Find resoucres for information, treatment, and support.

Know your conversation is confidential.

Get referrals to quality professional care.

Click here for a recent article about suicide in the fire service. 

IAFF Local Newswire
 
Join the Newswire!
Updated: Apr. 27 (23:10)

Straight Streams - Summer 2017
IAFF Local 2546
Statement from MFFA President Malone
IAFF Local 1784
Thanks To The Hook And Ladder Sponsors!
Tallahassee Professional Fire Fighters
14th District PEP Training
IAFF 14th District
UNION MEETING REMINDER
Cambridge Fire Fighters
FPPA Pre-Retirement Seminar
Denver Firefighters Local 858
 
     
Important Links
Visit www.iaff.org!
Visit www.iaff.org/hs/ffm/thisyear/index.aspx!
Visit www.iafflocals.com/!
Visit www.iaff.org/Events/2010Convention/Resolutions/new.asp!
Visit www.mpffu.org!
Visit www.firefighterclosecalls.com/home.php!
Visit www.iaff.org/hs/fts/ftsdefault.asp!
Visit www.firefighter-challenge.com/!
Visit www.firehouse.com/!
Visit www.mda.org/!
Visit www.miaflcio.org/!
Visit www.firehero.org/!
Visit www.thefirestore.com/!
Visit www.ci.livonia.mi.us/!
Visit www.hometownlife.com/section/NEWS10!
Visit www.nfpa.org/!
Action Center

US Flag Etiquette

Check Power Outages In Your Area

Fire Extinguisher 101

Livonia Spree

Sparky The Fire Dog
     
House garage catches fire in Livonia
Updated On: Feb 24, 2017

A fire that broke out over the weekend in the Quakertown subdivision of Livonia has been ruled accidental.

Livonia firefighters were called at about 1 p.m. Sunday to a home in the 38000 block of Meeting House Lane, which is located near Six Mile and Haggerty, over the weekend. Keith Bo, fire marshal for the Livonia Fire Department, said the fire started in the garage and was burning through the structure by the time firefighters got there.

"Flames were visible out of the garage when our fire crews pulled up," he said.

No injuries were reported, Bo said, though there were residents inside the home when the fire began. They were able to get out of the home when the fire began, he said.

"They smelled smoke and evacuated," he said.

While the garage at the home was a total loss, Bo said fire crews reacted quickly to try and save the rest of the home.

"Our fire crews did a very aggressive fire attack and saved the house," he said.

The remainder of the house only sustained smoke and water damage from the incident.

Fire Chief Shadd Whitehead, speaking during the Livonia City Council's study meeting Monday night, said the cause of the fire was some leftover ashes from a fire in the fireplace the night before. Those ashes were placed in a paper bag and then put into a plastic garbage can in the garage.

"There, it probably smoldered for a little bit, got enough oxygen and ignited the paper bag first, and then whatever the contents were inside the garbage can," he said. "The garbage can is plastic, so it's fuel as well. So it begins to melt and break down, it's also flammable. From there, the garage is loaded with different types of material, combustibles, flammable liquids and so on.

"So it didn't take long for it to obviously spread very quickly."

Whitehead said those individuals looking to dispose of ashes from a fireplace should try and place them into a metal trash can with a lid and preferably outdoors.

Bo said fire investigators have ruled the fire as accidental and closed the investigation.

A fire that started in a garage at this home in the 38000 block of Meeting House Lane in Livonia has been deemed accidental.


     
IAFF Local 1164
Copyright © 2017, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

709346 hits since Mar 25, 2010
Visit Unions-America.com!
Top of Page image