Confidential FFAP Hotline: 1.888.731.FIRE Available 24/7
Free CONFIDENTIAL telephone assistance for MPFFU members, retirees, and their families
Get answers to your questions and concerns.
Find resoucres for information, treatment, and support.
Know your conversation is confidential.
Get referrals to quality professional care.
Click here for a recent article about suicide in the fire service.
PREVENTING CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING
• Service all heating systems and all gas-, oil- or coal-burning appliances by a technician annually.
• Install a battery-operated and electric-powered carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.
• Contact a doctor if you believe you have carbon monoxide poisoning.
• Do not use gas-powered devices such as a generator, grill or stove inside your home, basement or near a near a window or door. Generators should be operated more than 15 feet from the home.
• Do not run any gas-powered motor inside a closed structure, such as a garage.
After planning for the show to go on, Livonia Anniversary Committee President Dan Spurling announced Friday that Livonia Spree is canceled due to coronavirus.
The announcement acknowledged that coronavirus has an ever-growing presence in Michigan and the uncertainty the next few months will bring.
"Unfortunately, there's no way for anyone to know what the situation will be in May or June," Spurling wrote. "Due to that uncertainty, and out of an abundance of caution, we've decided that it's in the best interest of the Livonia Anniversary Committee and the City of Livonia to cancel Spree for this year."
Spurling had said in a previous announcement on March 19 that the annual carnival, scheduled June 23-28, would go on as planned.
"Yes, we are in the midst of a drastic time of uncertainty," he wrote in March. "However, as the president of the Spree I can make you certain of this: The COVID-19 virus is not going to take away from our beautiful festival in one year what we have built over the past several years."
Had Spree been held this year, it would have celebrated Livonia's 70th birthday.
Contact reporter Shelby Tankersley at email@example.com or 248-305-0448. Follow her on Twitter @shelby_tankk.