Livonia Professional Firefighters
IAFF Local 1164 - Serving The City Of Livonia Since 1941
  • December 11, 2018
    Member Login
    Username:

    Password:


    Not registered yet?
    Click Here to sign-up

    Forgot Your Login?
    Upcoming Events
    Unit 1 Christmas Party
    Dec 12, 2018
    One Under
    Unit 2 Christmas Party
    Dec 13, 2018
    One Under
    Executive Board Meeting
    Jan 02, 2019
    Station 5
    << December 2018 >>
    S M T W T F S
    1
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    30 31

    Asbestos Safety

    Fire Fighters Assistance Program
    Confidential FFAP Hotline:  1.888.731.FIRE  Available 24/7 

    Free CONFIDENTIAL telephone assistance for MPFFU members, retirees, and their families

    Get answers to your questions and concerns.

    Find resoucres for information, treatment, and support.

    Know your conversation is confidential.

    Get referrals to quality professional care.

    Click here for a recent article about suicide in the fire service. 

    PREVENTING CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING

    • Service all heating systems and all gas-, oil- or coal-burning appliances by a technician annually.

    • Install a battery-operated and electric-powered carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.

    • Contact a doctor if you believe you have carbon monoxide poisoning.

    • Do not use gas-powered devices such as a generator, grill or stove inside your home, basement or near a near a window or door. Generators should be operated more than 15 feet from the home.

    • Do not run any gas-powered motor inside a closed structure, such as a garage.

    • Do not heat a home with a gas oven.

    IAFF Local Newswire
     
    Join the Newswire!
    Updated: Dec. 11 (11:10)

    2018 Raffle
    IAFF Local 2754
    2017/2018 Retirees Lunch-in
    IAFF local 1289
    Condolences Worcester Fire Fighters, Local 1009
    UPFFA
    Local 1009 LODD Announcement
    IAFF Local 1009
    Commons St. Commercial Structure Fire
    South Metro Firefighters IAFF LOCAL 2086
    December 6, 2018: UPFFA Recognizes Fred Garrity
    UPFFA
     
         
  • These home fire stories are unbelievable but true
    Posted On: Feb 28, 2011

    In this column, I write about many of the safety aspects of our lives that are highly important but often overlooked. Fires do not strike us very often, and many are handled while they are small. Add to that the way the movie and television industry downplay fires, and it is understandable that it may not be your highest priority. A short while ago, I wrote of one family's numerous mistakes that led to their house burning down. Here, I have found a few more examples of why I hope you have learned enough from this column that would make you scratch your head when you read these stories. Hopefully, you will never repeat these mistakes.

    The first true story has to do with the passing of a 73-year-old woman. Her 69-year-old sister had preserved the body in the home, not telling anyone of the passing of the woman, while she attempted to resuscitate her in a number of strange ways. First, she felt she must come up with a way of preserving the body. She decided that using gasoline was the way to do that. After numerous failed attempts, she decided that she would “jump start” her now-mummified corpse with the wires from a battery connecting the body's hands and neck to the main terminals. This electric current did not revive the body. Instead, it set the body (and the house) on fire, and the sister who conducted this experiment suffered multiple burns and a severe case of smoke inhalation.

    Our next true story comes out of Ohio, where a man had a problem with bedbugs in his home. The best course of action he could come up with was spraying the couch with rubbing alcohol. He did this while he was smoking a cigarette. I could not determine if he was successful or not in this attempt to alleviate his bedbug problem, but he did get transported to a burn center for treatment for the burns he suffered on both of his hands.

    In Portland, Oregon, home residents cut a small hole in their family room floor to use as an ashtray. As the ashes and cigarettes were discarded down the hole, a fire broke out in the basement of the home, causing more than $30,000 worth of damage. What a surprise.

    Some of my favorites have to do with improvised early warning devices. For these folks, the $5 required for the most basic model of smoke alarm seemed a bit out of reach of their financial situation so they had to come up with an alternative method of warning. One person put a small trim nail high on a wall in their home and placed a container of Jiffy Pop popcorn on it. The thought was the heat of the fire would cook the popcorn and the sound of the popping corn would serve as a warning and wake them up. Either that, or the smell of fresh popcorn may do the trick. Additionally, they now have a snack to enjoy as they watch their home burn.

    Another homeowner thought that if they placed a package of firecrackers on top of a dresser, the high heat conditions would set off the firecrackers, warning the homeowners of a problem. I recommend neither of these approaches. If you cannot afford a basic smoke alarm, or feel you cannot reach the ceiling or upper level of a wall to install them safely, please call your local firefighters for help.

    If you ever have thoughts of reviving the dead or killing bedbugs and you want to run your idea past someone, please feel free to stop by one of your local fire stations for some advice.

    Tom Kiurski is training coordinator for the Livonia Fire Department.


  • IAFF Local 1164

    Copyright © 2018.
    All Rights Reserved.

    Powered By UnionActive



  • Top of Page image