Livonia Professional Firefighters
IAFF Local 1164 - Serving The City Of Livonia Since 1941
  • August 15, 2018
    Member Login
    Username:

    Password:


    Not registered yet?
    Click Here to sign-up

    Forgot Your Login?
    << August 2018 >>
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Site Search
    Site Map
    RSS Feeds
    Fire Fighters Assistance Program
    Confidential FFAP Hotline:  1.888.731.FIRE  Available 24/7 

    Free CONFIDENTIAL telephone assistance for MPFFU members, retirees, and their families

    Get answers to your questions and concerns.

    Find resoucres for information, treatment, and support.

    Know your conversation is confidential.

    Get referrals to quality professional care.

    Click here for a recent article about suicide in the fire service. 

    PREVENTING CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING

    • Service all heating systems and all gas-, oil- or coal-burning appliances by a technician annually.

    • Install a battery-operated and electric-powered carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.

    • Contact a doctor if you believe you have carbon monoxide poisoning.

    • Do not use gas-powered devices such as a generator, grill or stove inside your home, basement or near a near a window or door. Generators should be operated more than 15 feet from the home.

    • Do not run any gas-powered motor inside a closed structure, such as a garage.

    • Do not heat a home with a gas oven.

    IAFF Local Newswire
     
    Join the Newswire!
    Updated: Aug. 15 (05:10)

    Local 21 Regrets To Announce The Passing Of Retired Firefighter Jack Addyman
    IAFF Local 21
    Tuesday, August 14, 2018 Ct. Primary Day
    UPFFA
    2018 CFRS Pension Review Analysis
    Charlotte Firefighters Association
    St. Bernard Firefighters Local-1468
    PFFA
    Law Enforcement Assist
    South Metro Firefighters IAFF LOCAL 2164
    August 13,2018: UPFFA Endorsed Candidates visit Meriden Fire Headquarters
    UPFFA
     
         
  • The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Posted On: Mar 31, 2011

    By Tom Kiurski

    GUEST COLUMNIST

    I'm sure many of you may remember the classic movie starring Clint Eastwood called The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. It is a spaghetti western classic featuring bounty hunters, buried gold and more double crosses than most people can count. When I read about recent fires, I can probably categorize some of them as “the good,” some as “the bad” and some as “the ugly.”

    Starting off with the good, we had an elderly man who uses a wheelchair in a nursing home in Arizona who had his bedding catch fire. The fire sprinkler operated as intended, confining the fire until firefighters could arrive and rescue the man and completely extinguish the blaze. The alarm that sounded when the sprinkler was activated gave the firefighters an early notification of the fire. In Colorado, a four-story hotel was full of guests when a candle in a guest room ignited a nearby shirt, which then spread the fire. This fire was also controlled with a single sprinkler head, keeping the damage limited to just $10,000.

    The bad behaviors of children are my next category, and the result is plenty of damage and the deaths of three children. In the first incident, a 3-year-old girl died in a fire that started when she and her 6-year-old brother were playing with a lighter in the basement of their Indiana home. In Alaska, two 5-year-old boys with a history of fire play were left alone and started numerous fires, killing one of the boys and a 15-year-old sibling. The fire destroyed the home.

    The ugly category is reserved for those who should have known better than to behave in the manner in which they did. Our first story comes from Pennsylvania where a father and son brought a vehicle's fuel tank in the house for repair. They placed it, with gasoline still in it, within three feet of the operating kerosene heater. Next up is an Ohio woman who placed a portable space heater pointing at her feet and the couch. No surprise here that a fire started when she left the room and forgot about the space heater, which was too close to the couch. Our final ugly contestant is three elderly women who shared a home. One woman was on home oxygen for a medical condition, and all three women were smokers. If you weren't aware that oxygen intensifies fire, as in that flame from a cigarette, it does just that. Two of the three women died in that fire.

    Fire departments in the United States respond to approximately 1.3 million fires each year. These fires kill more than 3,000 civilians, injure more than 17,000 and leave more than $12.5 billion in damages. Take the few minutes necessary to ensure you have working smoke alarms and a home fire escape plan that everyone in the home is familiar with and has practiced in the past six months. Give any actions like those mentioned above some thought before going ahead with them. If it sounds unsafe to you, it probably is.

    Tom Kiurski is training coordinator for the Livonia Fire Department.


  • IAFF Local 1164

    Copyright © 2018.
    All Rights Reserved.

    Powered By UnionActive



  • Top of Page image