Livonia Professional Firefighters
IAFF Local 1164 - Serving The City Of Livonia Since 1941
  • November 18, 2017
    Member Login
    Username:

    Password:


    Not registered yet?
    Click Here to sign-up

    Forgot Your Login?
    << November 2017 >>
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30
    Site Search
    Site Map
    RSS Feeds
    Fire Fighters Assistance Program
    Confidential FFAP Hotline:  1.888.731.FIRE  Available 24/7 

    Free CONFIDENTIAL telephone assistance for MPFFU members, retirees, and their families

    Get answers to your questions and concerns.

    Find resoucres for information, treatment, and support.

    Know your conversation is confidential.

    Get referrals to quality professional care.

    Click here for a recent article about suicide in the fire service. 

    PREVENTING CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING

    • Service all heating systems and all gas-, oil- or coal-burning appliances by a technician annually.

    • Install a battery-operated and electric-powered carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.

    • Contact a doctor if you believe you have carbon monoxide poisoning.

    • Do not use gas-powered devices such as a generator, grill or stove inside your home, basement or near a near a window or door. Generators should be operated more than 15 feet from the home.

    • Do not run any gas-powered motor inside a closed structure, such as a garage.

    • Do not heat a home with a gas oven.

    IAFF Local Newswire
     
    Join the Newswire!
    Updated: Nov. 17 (23:10)

    Toy Drive at Bus Stop Saloon
    Toy Program
    EMS UPDATE on Practical Continuing Education Requirements
    MPFFU
    union meeting 12/4/17
    IAFF Local 740
    IAFF Local 244 General Election
    Albuquerque Area Fire Fighters
    Exposed: Firefighters' risk of cancer is growing
    IAFF Local 1009
    2018 Shift Calendar
    Kent Fire Fighters
     
         
  • Fire risks increase during the holidays
    Posted On: Dec 01, 2011

    Beautifully decorated homes, both inside and out, are typical sights this time of year in Livonia. However, they also play a role in many home fires during the holiday season. Fires involving Christmas trees, decorative lights, as well as typical holiday activities like candles, cooking and fireplaces being lit, contribute to the risks associated with the holiday season.

    I remember my mother-in-law telling me about lighting candles on her childhood Christmas tree. I am certainly glad that this tradition has changed, as it must have displaced many families around this time of year. There are still risks that we engage in during the holidays, but some simple preventative steps can help avoid negative consequences.

    Fire departments in the United States respond to approximately 250 home fires each year that have been caused by Christmas trees. About half of them are caused by electrical problems, and about one-fourth of them result from a heat source that is too close to the tree. To avoid problems, make sure you place your tree away from heat sources, like fireplaces, space heaters and radiators. It should also be kept out of the path of emergency escape from the home so that it does not block people from exiting.

    If you are looking for a real tree, choose a fresh tree where the needles don't fall off when touched. A fresh cut at the base of a tree should be made to aid in water absorption and retention, and it should be watered daily. Artificial trees should be labeled as fire-retardant.

    Lights should also be labeled by an independent testing laboratory. Use indoor lights inside the home and outdoor lights outside. Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Turn off the tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.

    Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling or broiling food. Since most cooking fires involve the stovetop, keep anything that can catch fire away from it, and be sure to turn off the stove when you leave the kitchen. If you are simmering, boiling, baking or roasting, check the food regularly, and use a timer to remind you to do just that. Keep children away from the cooking area when in use so they don't bump into it.

    Candles are part of the decorations in many Livonia homes, and December is the peak month for home candle fires. National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) statistics show that more than half of all candle fires start because the candle was too close to things that could catch fire. Keep candles at least one foot away from anything that can burn or blow into them, and remember to blow them out when you leave the room or go to bed. Use sturdy candle holders, and never allow children to burn candles in their bedrooms. Consider using flameless candles, which can look and smell just like real candles.

    If you use your fireplace, it should be cleaned and inspected annually. When lighting a fire, be sure to move combustibles three feet away from the fire, and use the screen to keep in any sparks and embers.

    Just a few simple tips for the holiday season can make for a great time. Celebrate with family and friends the fire-safe way!

    Tom Kiurski is training coordinator for the Livonia Fire Department.


  • IAFF Local 1164

    Copyright © 2017.
    All Rights Reserved.

    Powered By UnionActive



  • Top of Page image