Confidential FFAP Hotline: 1.888.731.FIRE Available 24/7
Free CONFIDENTIAL telephone assistance for MPFFU members, retirees, and their families
Get answers to your questions and concerns.
Find resoucres for information, treatment, and support.
Know your conversation is confidential.
Get referrals to quality professional care.
Click here for a recent article about suicide in the fire service.
PREVENTING CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING
• Service all heating systems and all gas-, oil- or coal-burning appliances by a technician annually.
• Install a battery-operated and electric-powered carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.
• Contact a doctor if you believe you have carbon monoxide poisoning.
• Do not use gas-powered devices such as a generator, grill or stove inside your home, basement or near a near a window or door. Generators should be operated more than 15 feet from the home.
• Do not run any gas-powered motor inside a closed structure, such as a garage.
By now you know that almost all of the candidates endorsed by the Michigan Professional Fire Fighters Union, from the top to the bottom of the ticket, were elected to office on November 6th. The entire MPFFU membership should be proud of the role our organization and its members played in getting these great candidates elected. The MPFFU is also grateful for the assistance provided by the IAFF to many of our endorsed candidates.
But our work is just beginning now that we have new friends in Lansing and Washington. We must continue to be politically active and get to know these newly elected officials as well as their staffs. You may also find some doors now open to establish a better relationship with incumbents that previously refused to meet with you. Stay involved - Stay active!