Confidential FFAP Hotline: 1.888.731.FIRE Available 24/7
Free CONFIDENTIAL telephone assistance for MPFFU members, retirees, and their families
Get answers to your questions and concerns.
Find resoucres for information, treatment, and support.
Know your conversation is confidential.
Get referrals to quality professional care.
Click here for a recent article about suicide in the fire service.
PREVENTING CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING
• Service all heating systems and all gas-, oil- or coal-burning appliances by a technician annually.
• Install a battery-operated and electric-powered carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.
• Contact a doctor if you believe you have carbon monoxide poisoning.
• Do not use gas-powered devices such as a generator, grill or stove inside your home, basement or near a near a window or door. Generators should be operated more than 15 feet from the home.
• Do not run any gas-powered motor inside a closed structure, such as a garage.
The MPFFU recently conducted its annual Fire OPS 101 for State Legislator's and key staff members at Lansing Community College. The program included actually putting the participants in fire fighter protective clothing, donning self-contained breathing apparatus, handling hose lines, patient extrication, EMS activities, and other firefighter tasks. Obviously, this was a controlled situation, but nevertheless, it provided an opportunity for participants and observers to see and feel what fire fighters deal with on a daily basis.
The MPFFU thanks all of the participants and also the firefighters that served as instructors and guides during the event. Special thanks to State Fire Marshal Kevin Sehlmeyer for assisting, LCC for hosting the event,and David Weisenberg for coordinating and arranging for all of the items necessary to conduct the event. Shown below are a few pictures from the event. Here is a link to several more pictures.